Quantcast

Re: [Libusbx-devel] [mpi@openbsd.org: Re: libusb: Update for OpenBSD's backend]

Hans de Goede
Hi Martin,

On 07/16/2013 11:32 AM, Martin Pieuchot wrote:
> Hello Hans and Pete,
>
> You'll find below an update for OpenBSD's libusb backend, freshly
> rebased on top of the last libusb/libusbx release.
>
> I sent it twice to Peter Stuge but it never get committed after we
> addressed all the issues he raised.  Could you push it in the main
> repository?  It has been packaged on OpenBSD for some months now.

Thanks for the patch. We certainly will add this to the master repo,
I'm not sure about the timing though. It turns out 1.0.16 has a nasty
deadlock on exit, so we want to do a 1.0.17 with this fixed fairly soon.

Thus it might be better delaying merging this post 1.0.17, OTOH this
is isolated to just the openbsd support, and as you say yourself,
openbsd itself it already shipping with this commit so it may be
good to actually get it into 1.0.17.

Pete, what do you think ?

> Of course if you have some comments I'd be really interested to hear
> them.
> If you also think I should address some issues regarding our backend,
> feel free to tell me.  I'll try to catch up with the new hotplugging
> layer you introduced to see if we can support it.

If you could add hotplug support that would be really cool :)

Regards,

Hans

Re: [Libusbx-devel] [mpi@openbsd.org: Re: libusb: Update for OpenBSD's backend]

Xiaofan Chen
On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 11:38 PM, Hans de Goede <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Martin,
>
> On 07/16/2013 11:32 AM, Martin Pieuchot wrote:
>> Hello Hans and Pete,
>>
>> You'll find below an update for OpenBSD's libusb backend, freshly
>> rebased on top of the last libusb/libusbx release.
>>
>> I sent it twice to Peter Stuge but it never get committed after we
>> addressed all the issues he raised.  Could you push it in the main
>> repository?  It has been packaged on OpenBSD for some months now.
>>

> Thanks for the patch. We certainly will add this to the master repo,
> I'm not sure about the timing though. It turns out 1.0.16 has a nasty
> deadlock on exit, so we want to do a 1.0.17 with this fixed fairly soon.
>
> Thus it might be better delaying merging this post 1.0.17, OTOH this
> is isolated to just the openbsd support, and as you say yourself,
> openbsd itself it already shipping with this commit so it may be
> good to actually get it into 1.0.17.
>
> Pete, what do you think ?

Maybe you want to post the patch to get Pete and others to
review of the patch.

I think if it is isolated for OpenBSD, it can be merged into
1.0.17. Since we use the same code for NetBSD, we may
want to carry out tests under NetBSD as well.

>> Of course if you have some comments I'd be really interested to hear
>> them.
>> If you also think I should address some issues regarding our backend,
>> feel free to tell me.  I'll try to catch up with the new hotplugging
>> layer you introduced to see if we can support it.
>
> If you could add hotplug support that would be really cool :)

I agree.

--
Xiaofan

Re: [Libusbx-devel] [mpi@openbsd.org: Re: libusb: Update for OpenBSD's backend]

Martin Pieuchot
On 02/08/13(Fri) 13:23, Xiaofan Chen wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 11:38 PM, Hans de Goede <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi Martin,
> >
> > On 07/16/2013 11:32 AM, Martin Pieuchot wrote:
> >> Hello Hans and Pete,
> >>
> >> You'll find below an update for OpenBSD's libusb backend, freshly
> >> rebased on top of the last libusb/libusbx release.
> >>
> >> I sent it twice to Peter Stuge but it never get committed after we
> >> addressed all the issues he raised.  Could you push it in the main
> >> repository?  It has been packaged on OpenBSD for some months now.
> >>

> > Thanks for the patch. We certainly will add this to the master repo,
> > I'm not sure about the timing though. It turns out 1.0.16 has a nasty
> > deadlock on exit, so we want to do a 1.0.17 with this fixed fairly soon.
> >
> > Thus it might be better delaying merging this post 1.0.17, OTOH this
> > is isolated to just the openbsd support, and as you say yourself,
> > openbsd itself it already shipping with this commit so it may be
> > good to actually get it into 1.0.17.
> >
> > Pete, what do you think ?
>
> Maybe you want to post the patch to get Pete and others to
> review of the patch.
>
> I think if it is isolated for OpenBSD, it can be merged into
> 1.0.17. Since we use the same code for NetBSD, we may
> want to carry out tests under NetBSD as well.

I'm quite sure it will not work for NetBSD, we added new interfaces to
the kernel to fulfil libusb's requirements.

M.

Re: [Libusbx-devel] [mpi@openbsd.org: Re: libusb: Update for OpenBSD's backend]

Hans de Goede
Hi Martin,

Thanks for your reply!

On 08/02/2013 09:28 AM, Martin Pieuchot wrote:

> On 02/08/13(Fri) 13:23, Xiaofan Chen wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 11:38 PM, Hans de Goede <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi Martin,

>>> Thanks for the patch. We certainly will add this to the master repo,
>>> I'm not sure about the timing though. It turns out 1.0.16 has a nasty
>>> deadlock on exit, so we want to do a 1.0.17 with this fixed fairly soon.
>>>
>>> Thus it might be better delaying merging this post 1.0.17, OTOH this
>>> is isolated to just the openbsd support, and as you say yourself,
>>> openbsd itself it already shipping with this commit so it may be
>>> good to actually get it into 1.0.17.
>>>
>>> Pete, what do you think ?
>>
>> Maybe you want to post the patch to get Pete and others to
>> review of the patch.
>>
>> I think if it is isolated for OpenBSD, it can be merged into
>> 1.0.17. Since we use the same code for NetBSD, we may
>> want to carry out tests under NetBSD as well.
>
> I'm quite sure it will not work for NetBSD, we added new interfaces to
> the kernel to fulfil libusb's requirements.

Hmm, then I'm afraid we cannot take the patch as is. Could you add
#ifdef-s to retain the old behavior when not build on openbsd ?

I'm not expecting you to actually test on netbsd, but a patch which
on paper will work on netbsd would be a good start.

It is also proably best then to merge this post 1.0.17 (which
will be a small bug-fix only release we hope to release soon),
assuming you can provide an updated patch getting this into 1.0.18
should not be a problem.

Regards,

Hans

On 02/08/13(Fri) 10:07, Hans de Goede wrote:

> Hi Martin,
>
> Thanks for your reply!
>
> On 08/02/2013 09:28 AM, Martin Pieuchot wrote:

> >>Maybe you want to post the patch to get Pete and others to
> >>review of the patch.
> >>
> >>I think if it is isolated for OpenBSD, it can be merged into
> >>1.0.17. Since we use the same code for NetBSD, we may
> >>want to carry out tests under NetBSD as well.
> >
> >I'm quite sure it will not work for NetBSD, we added new interfaces to
> >the kernel to fulfil libusb's requirements.
>
> Hmm, then I'm afraid we cannot take the patch as is. Could you add
> #ifdef-s to retain the old behavior when not build on openbsd ?

I'm sorry but this backend is not supposed to be built outside OpenBSD,
it's not tested, not debugged and I have no plan to do so.  If someone
wants to support a backend for NetBSD then I think it would be better
to have a separate one.

Martin

On 08/02/2013 10:23 AM, Martin Pieuchot wrote:

> On 02/08/13(Fri) 10:07, Hans de Goede wrote:
>> Hi Martin,
>>
>> Thanks for your reply!

>>> I'm quite sure it will not work for NetBSD, we added new interfaces to
>>> the kernel to fulfil libusb's requirements.
>>
>> Hmm, then I'm afraid we cannot take the patch as is. Could you add
>> #ifdef-s to retain the old behavior when not build on openbsd ?
>
> I'm sorry but this backend is not supposed to be built outside OpenBSD,
> it's not tested, not debugged and I have no plan to do so.  If someone
> wants to support a backend for NetBSD then I think it would be better
> to have a separate one.

Since you wrote the openbsd code, and then someone contributed patches
to also use that for netbsd, I think this is a fair request.

So I think the best thing to-do is to copy the existing openbsd_usb.c
to netbsd_usb.c, and then you can maintain openbsd_usb.c (starting
with us adding your changes to openbsd_usb.c). And someone else can
take care of the netbsd code (or if it turns out no-one will we may
eventually need to re-consider supporting netbsd).

Before moving ahead with this I wonder what the other libusb
maintainers think ?   Nathan, Pete, Xiaofan what do you think ?

Regards,

Hans

On Fri, Aug 2, 2013 at 6:02 PM, Hans de Goede <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 08/02/2013 10:23 AM, Martin Pieuchot wrote:
>> I'm sorry but this backend is not supposed to be built outside OpenBSD,
>> it's not tested, not debugged and I have no plan to do so.  If someone
>> wants to support a backend for NetBSD then I think it would be better
>> to have a separate one.
>
> Since you wrote the openbsd code, and then someone contributed patches
> to also use that for netbsd, I think this is a fair request.

I agree. I was the one who added the small patch to build
under NetBSD, at that time I thought the USB Stack of
OpenBSD and NetBSD were similar. But apparently
they became more and more different along the way.

> So I think the best thing to-do is to copy the existing openbsd_usb.c
> to netbsd_usb.c, and then you can maintain openbsd_usb.c (starting
> with us adding your changes to openbsd_usb.c).

I think that is okay.

> And someone else can
> take care of the netbsd code (or if it turns out no-one will we may
> eventually need to re-consider supporting netbsd).

I can test for NetBSD using a VM but I will not be able to
take care of the NetBSD codes. I am not a real OpenBSD/NetBSD
user even though I have installed VMs for testing.

I am not so sure if there are other NetBSD users in this
mailing list who can be the maintainer of the NetBSD codes.

NetBSD does have libusb-1.0 and libusbx packages in pkgsrc.
http://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/pkgsrc/current/pkgsrc/devel/libusb1/ (1.0.9
with patches)
http://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/pkgsrc/current/pkgsrc/devel/libusbx/README.html
(1.0.11 older release)

> Before moving ahead with this I wonder what the other libusb
> maintainers think ?   Nathan, Pete, Xiaofan what do you think ?

I am for the split of OpenBSD and NetBSD codes. I am
also for the OpenBSD patch to be included in 1.0.17 release.

As for dropping the NetBSD support (if no one wants to support it),
better to do it post 1.0.17 release.

--
Xiaofan