Re: [Libusbx-devel] [libusbx] Windows: hotplug/unplug support (#9)

Re: [Libusbx-devel] [libusbx] Windows: hotplug/unplug support (#9)

daves0

What is the current state of hotplug/unplug support on windows? Is there any idea when it might be moved into the main branch (or whatever its called)? I am not familiar with the libusb code base, but if there is anything I could do to help (testing or whatever) it would be worth me putting a few days into this to get it working soon. Thanks

Re: [Libusbx-devel] [libusbx] Windows: hotplug/unplug support (#9)

daves0

Hi,

The status, really, is that the libusb Windows backend is in need of a new maintainer.

As the hopefully soon to be ex-libusb Windows backend maintainer, I've been wanting to look into this and other things for about a year now... However, doing proper review and testing requires time (more than a few days as far as I'm concerned), which is difficult to prioritize right now.

Now, the reasoning behind libusb having lower priority than some of the other FLOSS projects I am involved with, is that, as opposed to those, with, libusb is aimed at developers and as a consequence I expect that, if a group of developers is inconvenienced enough, one of them will rise to the challenge and take matter in their own hands. This is pretty much what happened in the past.

TL;DR: Maintainers of FLOSS projects such as libusb rarely have the luxury of spending their full time on a single project and have to choose their battles. The result of which is that work doesn't get done...

Regards,

/Pete

Re: [Libusbx-devel] [libusbx] Windows: hotplug/unplug support (#9)

Chris Dickens
Hi,

If this is a matter of stepping up and volunteering, I would be more than willing to. I've been using libusb with my hotplug implementation on Windows for over 6 months now. It's on a cross-platform utility in which hotplug functionality is the single most important feature, where multiple devices are expected to come and go and triggering off this event is crucial.

I'm happy to help with libusb in any way I can, and right now I have the time to dedicate to it.

Regards,
Chris

On Thursday, July 3, 2014, Pete Batard <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Hi Chris,

No objection from me. ;)

You've been around our lists long enough, have been doing plenty of good work already, and crucially, you indicate that you have some time for it, so if you want the Windows maintainer job, since I'm pretty sure other maintainers will feel the same way I do, consider it yours!

I have now added you to the list of github maintainers for the project, and if you send one of us your SourceForge username, we can also add you to the project there (which is required for file uploads, etc.)

I should also point out that, I'm not planning to drop off the libusb map altogether, so I'll continue to try to help where I can (feel free to drop me an e-mail anytime).
Of course, you have my thanks for volunteering to take the Windows maintenance over!

Regards,

/Pete