[Libusbx-devel] [libusbx] Update website and documentation to reflect libusb and libusb merge (#123)

[Libusbx-devel] [libusbx] Update website and documentation to reflect libusb and libusb merge (#123)

daves0

I just discovered that libusb and libusbx merged. That is, what I did notice was that the download link on http://www.libusb.org/ suddenly is pointing to libusbx... but it wasn't quite clear if that was done in good faith or rather a hostile takeover (see also the terrible ffmpeg vs. libav saga)... So I did some research, and after half an hour or so, I finally found http://libusbx.1081486.n5.nabble.com/Libusbx-devel-libusb-and-libusbx-merging-td1308.html

So it seems libusb and libusbx have indeed merged together. Great, and congrats! However, there is no hint about that on any of the canonical places I would expect it:

It would be really great if these places could be adjusted to indicate that the projects have merged. That would help avoid more people getting confused :-). Thanks!

Re: [Libusbx-devel] [libusbx] Update website and documentation to reflect libusb and libusb merge (#123)

daves0

Please be mindful that the merging is far from complete.

What you've seen is basically the second step (the announcement that the projects would merge was the first one), and we are planning to update the content to reflect this, but this is a slow process (there's a lot more than just updating the websites - for instance all the libusbx references in source need to be updated, we need to setup and advertise a single point of entries for git, bug tracker, etc.) and it will likely take months to complete it.

So, in essence, libusb and libusbx have not merged yet. The process has only just started. And that is the reason why we think it will be less confusing for our users to keep the projects as if they were separate for the time being (else, users may have no idea where they should go to report bugs, look for old releases, etc.) even more so as we are planning to move/rename the libusbx github repository into a libusb one, so it wouldn't make much sense to point libusb users to something that is going to disappear.

Now, the reason the libusbx source tarballs are linked on the main libusb page is that we want to provide libusb users with a release that has the latest updates and features (such as hotplug), so this was updated as a matter or priority...

For the time being, can we please ask you to be patient?
We will provide ample information on the merging process in due time. But we do need a few more things to be finalized before we can do that.

Re: [Libusbx-devel] [libusbx] Task: Update website and documentation to reflect libusb and libusb merge (#123)

daves0

I appreciate that merging is incomplete and still requires a lot of work.

But my complaint is that this is highly intransparent, and the result is confusing to outsiders. Indeed, except for that email I dug out from a mailing list archive, there is no explicit hint that the libusb and libusbx projects are going to merge back together, on friendly terms.

However, on http://www.libusb.org/ the download links got replace by links to libusbx. To an outsider, this leaves a very strange impression. Indeed, my first (negative) thought was that somebody was hijacking the libusb project, in bad faith, as has happened in the past in other cases (I named ffmpeg vs. libav as an example).

So, if you say the merge is so incomplete that you don't want to announce it anywhere yet, I am all with you, but then I think you should revert those download links on libusb.org back to libusb, too! Or, if you think that users really, really need to use libusbx, and thus should download libusbx, then at the very least, insert a short notice before the download links on libusb.org, something like this:

 "The libusb and libusbx projects are going to merge back together [insert link to email announcing this]. This process will take some time, please be patient. But already now, we think it is important that libusb users switch to libusbx, and hence we have updated the download links below to point to libusbx."

This way, at least one knows what is going on, and in case of bugs and problems with the code one just downloaded, at least now one knows that this is indeed libusbx, and not libusb, and one should hence consult a different website, etc. etc.

The current state, though, seems like a very bad idea to me...

Re: [Libusbx-devel] [libusbx] Task: Update website and documentation to reflect libusb and libusb merge (#123)

daves0

Take note Peter Stuge still owns libusb.org domain name. So he can changes back the libusb.org if he wants to do that.
http://whois.net/whois/libusb.org

Re: [Libusbx-devel] [libusbx] Task: Update website and documentation to reflect libusb and libusb merge (#123)

daves0

Yup. I still need to figure out how to approach Peter and get control of the domain. If he ever reverts our modifications (and removes my admin access) I will ask him for the domain. Otherwise I will try to get him to give us the domain before it renews next May.

Re: [Libusbx-devel] [libusbx] Task: Update website and documentation to reflect libusb and libusb merge (#123)

daves0

With the release of libusbx-1.0.18 and libusb-1.0.18, the issue can probably be closed. Or maybe we have to migrate all the issues to github libusb organization first.