[Libusbx-devel] bulk transfer error centos 6.5 (32-bit) on VirtualBox running on Windows 7 (64-bit)

[Libusbx-devel] bulk transfer error centos 6.5 (32-bit) on VirtualBox running on Windows 7 (64-bit)

Igor Furlan
I am trying to run I2C interface board
(http://nanorivertech.com/viperboard.html) on CentOS 6.5 installed on
virtual machine (VirtualBox) which runs on MS WINDOWS 7.

When I run my small CLI program, I get back

libusb: error [op_set_configuration] failed, error -1 errno 110
libusb: error [submit_bulk_transfer] submiturb failed error -1 errno=2
libusb: error [submit_bulk_transfer] submiturb failed error -1 errno=2

The very same CLI program runs flawlessly on CentOS 6.5 on  real
hardware. It runs on 32-bit and 64-bit machine.

The offending code snippet is:

ret = usb_set_configuration(usb_handle, 1);
usb_claim_interface(usb_handle, 0);
 /* Flush any remaining bulk transfers pendings */
ret = usb_bulk_read(usb_handle, 0x86, buf, 512, 10);
ret = usb_bulk_read(usb_handle, 0x86, buf, 512, 10);

SOFTWARE:
 libusb-1.0.19
 libusb-compat-0.1.5

No, I can __not__  convert the source code for my CLI program to use
ONLY the libusb and not libusb-compat.

Igor

Re: [Libusbx-devel] bulk transfer error centos 6.5 (32-bit) on VirtualBox running on Windows 7 (64-bit)

Tim Roberts
On Jun 21, 2014, at 9:01 PM, Igor Furlan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am trying to run I2C interface board
> (http://nanorivertech.com/viperboard.html) on CentOS 6.5 installed on
> virtual machine (VirtualBox) which runs on MS WINDOWS 7.
>
> When I run my small CLI program, I get back
>
> libusb: error [op_set_configuration] failed, error -1 errno 110
> libusb: error [submit_bulk_transfer] submiturb failed error -1 errno=2
> libusb: error [submit_bulk_transfer] submiturb failed error -1 errno=2
>
> The very same CLI program runs flawlessly on CentOS 6.5 on  real
> hardware. It runs on 32-bit and 64-bit machine.

Windows does a SetConfiguration when the driver loads.  Some hardware doesn’t like getting multiple SetConfiguration requests.  Try removing the call to usb_set_configuration.
--
Tim Roberts, [hidden email]
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

Re: [Libusbx-devel] bulk transfer error centos 6.5 (32-bit) on VirtualBox running on Windows 7 (64-bit)

Igor Furlan
Tim, thanks for the reply.

I've removed the call to usb_set_configuration. The Error message went away.

Now I am facing another problem.

A call to  usb_claim_interface returns 0 (meaning call was OK).

The next call, after the usb_claim_interface, is a call to usb_control_msg.

It returns -110 (aka it fails).

What should I do to debug this ?
Or, even better, what should I do to make this call pass ?

Igor

P.S:

Reminder:
I am running this on a CentOS 6.5 as the __guest__ using VirtualBOX on
WIN7 as the host.

Running the program on CentOS 6.5 on  REAL hardware works flawlessly.

On Jun 22, 2014, at 1:00 PM, Igor Furlan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Now I am facing another problem.
>
> A call to  usb_claim_interface returns 0 (meaning call was OK).
>
> The next call, after the usb_claim_interface, is a call to usb_control_msg.
>
> It returns -110 (aka it fails).

You know that -110 tells you more than just “it fails”, right?  Errno 110 is ETIMEDOUT.  Do you have a very short timeout?  Timing in a VM is somewhat “flexible”.

> Reminder:
> I am running this on a CentOS 6.5 as the __guest__ using VirtualBOX on
> WIN7 as the host.
>
> Running the program on CentOS 6.5 on  REAL hardware works flawlessly.

At some point, you have to decide what this is worth to you.  Some of the VM managers don’t do a perfect job of USB forwarding.

.
> It returns -110 (aka it fails).

You know that -110 tells you more than just “it fails”, right?  Errno 110 is ETIMEDOUT.  Do you have a very short timeout?  Timing in a VM is somewhat “flexible”.

​No, I did not know. To be honest with you, I did not look for. My bad. Sorry.

About "​Do you have a very short timeout?"
    I do not know. How do I change (increase) the 'timeout' ?

> I am running this on a CentOS 6.5 as the __guest__ using VirtualBOX
>​on
​ ​
WIN7 as the host.
> Running the program on CentOS 6.5 on  REAL hardware works flawlessly.

At some point, you have to decide what this is worth to you.  Some of the VM managers don’t do a perfect job of USB forwarding.

​Yes, I was afraid about that. Unfortunately, not using VM​

​ would be a major setback. In a company I work, we do not want to have in a lab too many PCs on benches. But, all of the app engineers do have MS Windows desktops/laptops​. So, using VM, with Lunux installed, is a nice solution. I was able to make GPIB working with GPIB-USB addapter (Agilent and National Instrument).

--
"You can't run an economy where the financial sector is making 40 percent of the profits."

                                                                               former Fed Chairman Paul Volcker 2009

Igor Furlan wrote:

On Sun, Jun 22, 2014 at 11:41 PM, Tim Roberts <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Jun 22, 2014, at 1:00 PM, Igor Furlan <[hidden email]> wrote:
.
> It returns -110 (aka it fails).

You know that -110 tells you more than just “it fails”, right?  Errno 110 is ETIMEDOUT.  Do you have a very short timeout?  Timing in a VM is somewhat “flexible”.

​No, I did not know. To be honest with you, I did not look for. My bad. Sorry.

About "​Do you have a very short timeout?"
    I do not know. How do I change (increase) the 'timeout' ?

Did you check the API documentation?  The last parameter to usb_control_msg is the timeout in milliseconds.

To a certain extent, however, I am just blowing smoke.  Control messages usually complete very quickly.  Your symptoms seem to indicate some more fundamental problem, and I don't know what to suggest.

One of the advantages of libusb is that it crosses platforms.  Why don't you run your code on Windows?

On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 10:50 AM, Tim Roberts <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Did you check the API documentation?  The last parameter to usb_control_msg is the timeout in milliseconds.

TNX for the hint.  I've tried to increase the timeout, It did not help.

> To a certain extent, however, I am just blowing smoke.  Control messages usually complete very quickly.  Your symptoms seem to indicate some more fundamental problem, and I don't know what to suggest.

Since I am not a programmer,  I really do not know how to proceed from
here. In any case, thanks for the help.

> One of the advantages of libusb is that it crosses platforms.  Why don't you run your code on Windows?

Yes I could,,, but I wrote already few other utilities on LINUX
(mostly GPIB related). I would like to continue on Linux. On top of
that, licensing is free, no virues,  upgrading linux require just a
recompile of my utilities, stability, reliability, abundance of
programming/scripting tools   so, the users can use my utilities
within any programming environment they are comfortable with. Like
octave, shells,c, C++, Ruby, Perl, Pascal adn as a command line.
Working remotely is a plus...  etc ..    Stuff I wrote in 2002/03 in
my former company is still in use today, 12 years later. It was
written for RedHat 8 2012 and just recompiled on CentOS 6.

Igor Furlan wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 23, 2014 at 10:50 AM, Tim Roberts <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> One of the advantages of libusb is that it crosses platforms.  Why don't you run your code on Windows?
> Yes I could,,, but I wrote already few other utilities on LINUX
> (mostly GPIB related). I would like to continue on Linux. On top of
> that, licensing is free, no virues,  upgrading linux require just a
> recompile of my utilities, stability, reliability, abundance of
> programming/scripting tools   so, the users can use my utilities
> within any programming environment they are comfortable with. Like
> octave, shells,c, C++, Ruby, Perl, Pascal adn as a command line.

OK, but you are intentionally overlooking the very important point that
YOUR USERS ARE ALREADY RUNNING WINDOWS.  You said this yourself.  They
already have licenses.  They already have virus checkers.  They already
know how to launch programs and interact.  They do not know Octave,
bash, Ruby, Perl, or Pascal.  You are asking them to run an additional
rather intrusive tool (VirtualBox) so they can run an entirely
unfamiliar environment just so you can feel religiously pure in your
development.

Your upgrade argument is also silly.  An upgrade of Windows doesn't
require ANY recompiling of your tools and utilities.  The old binaries
just keep on working.  Microsoft has spent a vast fortune to ensure that
the Fortune 100 companies don't have to do any work on their
line-of-business tools to slip in an operating system upgrade.  Linux
developers, on the other hand, tend to favor purity over compatibility.

> Working remotely is a plus...  etc ..    Stuff I wrote in 2002/03 in
> my former company is still in use today, 12 years later. It was
> written for RedHat 8 2012 and just recompiled on CentOS 6.

You're just making stuff up that doesn't have any basis in fact.  The
Windows remote access tools are just as good or better than the remote
access tools on Linux.  I'm still running Windows tools that I wrote and
last compiled in 1995.  Now that I'm running a 64-bit Windows, my
25-year-old 16-bit tools no longer run, but I've known that was coming
for 10 years.

It's interesting that you tried to use backwards compatibility as an
argument.  As a driver writer, I know that Windows has the best
backwards compatibility behavior of ANY of the major operating systems.
The video capture driver BINARIES that I wrote for Windows 98SE way back
in the 20th Century still run in Windows 8.  With a Linux kernel driver,
you often don't even get SOURCE compatibility between version x.y.z and
x.y.z+1.

--
Tim Roberts, [hidden email]
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

Re: [Libusbx-devel] bulk transfer error centos 6.5 (32-bit) on VirtualBox running on Windows 7 (64-bit)

Igor Furlan
wow   this was a hammer .... thanks for explaining it in clear
profound words   I will keep it in mind  before write another sentence
to the libusb-devel list.

Thanks and have a nice day

Igor

On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 9:42 AM, Tim Roberts <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> for 10 years.
>
> It's interesting that you tried to use backwards compatibility as an
> argument.  As a driver writer, I know that Windows has the best
> backwards compatibility behavior of ANY of the major operating systems.
> The video capture driver BINARIES that I wrote for Windows 98SE way back
> in the 20th Century still run in Windows 8.  With a Linux kernel driver,
> you often don't even get SOURCE compatibility between version x.y.z and
> x.y.z+1.
>
> --
> Tim Roberts, [hidden email]
> Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

"You can't run an economy where the financial sector is making 40
percent of the profits."

        former Fed Chairman Paul Volcker 2009

Re: [Libusbx-devel] bulk transfer error centos 6.5 (32-bit) on VirtualBox running on Windows 7 (64-bit)

Kustaa Nyholm
Well Igor,

Tim put it a bit more bluntly than I perhaps would, I actually
refrained from making a comment ... but your post came across
as Linux evangelism so I'm not surprised that it provoked a
comment... you kind of asked for it.

You may not agree with what Tim wrote but you might still
take away from this that if your users are already using
Windows then using a virtual machine with linux, especially
when you are having problem clearly related to it seems
quite the wrong way to go about it.

And for the record I agree with most what Tim wrote about
Windows though I dislike Windows.

br Kusti

On 24/06/2014 21:13, "Igor Furlan" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>-----
>> Open source business process management suite built on Java and Eclipse
>> Turn processes into business applications with Bonita BPM Community
>>Edition
>> Quickly connect people, data, and systems into organized workflows
>> Winner of BOSSIE, CODIE, OW2 and Gartner awards
>> http://p.sf.net/sfu/Bonitasoft
>

>--
>"You can't run an economy where the financial sector is making 40
>percent of the profits."
>

>        former Fed Chairman Paul Volcker 2009

>----
>Open source business process management suite built on Java and Eclipse
>Turn processes into business applications with Bonita BPM Community
>Edition
>Quickly connect people, data, and systems into organized workflows
>Winner of BOSSIE, CODIE, OW2 and Gartner awards

Kustaa Nyholm
Research Manager, Software
Research and Technology Division
PLANMECA OY
Asentajankatu 6
00880 HELSINKI
FINLAND

Please note our new telephone and fax numbers!
Tel: +358 20 7795 572 (direct)
Fax: +358 20 7795 676
GSM: +358 40 580 5193
e-mail: [hidden email]

This e-mail may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient (or have received this e-mail in error) please notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail. Any unauthorized copying, disclosure or distribution of the material in this e-mail is strictly forbidden. We will not be liable for direct, indirect, special or consequential damages arising from alteration of the contents of this message by a third party or as a result of any virus being passed on or as of transmission of this e-mail in general.