[Libusbx-devel] build error: undefined reference to `libusb_error_name'

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

[Libusbx-devel] build error: undefined reference to `libusb_error_name'

Carl Karsten
I am trying to use
https://github.com/timvideos/HDMI2USB/tree/jahanzeb/release/R1/pre-build
 which says "libusb fxload comes from
https://github.com/pbatard/fxload "

sudo apt-get install libusb-1.0-0-dev
git clone https://github.com/pbatard/fxload.git
cd fxload

carl@dc10:~/tv/fxload$ make
cc -o fxload ezusb.o fxload.o -lusb-1.0
ezusb.o: In function `ezusb_write':
ezusb.c:(.text+0x137): undefined reference to `libusb_error_name'
ezusb.o: In function `ezusb_cpucs':
ezusb.c:(.text+0x473): undefined reference to `libusb_error_name'
ezusb.o: In function `ezusb_load_eeprom':
ezusb.c:(.text+0xab8): undefined reference to `libusb_error_name'
fxload.o: In function `main':
fxload.c:(.text+0x2cb): undefined reference to `libusb_error_name'
fxload.c:(.text+0x342): undefined reference to `libusb_error_name'
fxload.o:fxload.c:(.text+0x528): more undefined references to
`libusb_error_name' follow
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [fxload] Error 1

on Ubuntu 11.10,
gcc version 4.6.1 (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.6.1-9ubuntu3)

--
Carl K

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Try New Relic Now & We'll Send You this Cool Shirt
New Relic is the only SaaS-based application performance monitoring service
that delivers powerful full stack analytics. Optimize and monitor your
browser, app, & servers with just a few lines of code. Try New Relic
and get this awesome Nerd Life shirt! http://p.sf.net/sfu/newrelic_d2d_may
_______________________________________________
libusbx-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/libusbx-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Libusbx-devel] build error: undefined reference to `libusb_error_name'

Pete Batard
Hi Carl,

On 2013.05.25 21:02, Carl Karsten wrote:
> I am trying to use
> https://github.com/timvideos/HDMI2USB/tree/jahanzeb/release/R1/pre-build
>   which says "libusb fxload comes from
> https://github.com/pbatard/fxload "

Oh man, are people actually using that old code?
This is no longer maintained and has been superseded by the fxload app
in the libusbx directory.

> sudo apt-get install libusb-1.0-0-dev

libusb-1.0.0-dev is for libusb. The app above is designed for use with
libusbx.

I would strongly suggest that you:
- pick the latest version of libusbx from
git://github.com/libusbx/libusbx.git
- Use the fxload application from the examples directory there instead
of the old version from pbatard (which I will probably remove soon)

You can also find out more about libusb vs libusbx at http://libusbx.org.

Regards,

/Pete

PS: Please make sure you subscribe to the mailing list before posting.
How to subscribe is also detailed on the libusbx.org homepage

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Try New Relic Now & We'll Send You this Cool Shirt
New Relic is the only SaaS-based application performance monitoring service
that delivers powerful full stack analytics. Optimize and monitor your
browser, app, & servers with just a few lines of code. Try New Relic
and get this awesome Nerd Life shirt! http://p.sf.net/sfu/newrelic_d2d_may
_______________________________________________
libusbx-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/libusbx-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Libusbx-devel] build error: undefined reference to `libusb_error_name'

Carl Karsten
On Sat, May 25, 2013 at 4:50 PM, Pete Batard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Carl,
>
>
> On 2013.05.25 21:02, Carl Karsten wrote:
>>
>> I am trying to use
>> https://github.com/timvideos/HDMI2USB/tree/jahanzeb/release/R1/pre-build
>>   which says "libusb fxload comes from
>> https://github.com/pbatard/fxload "
>
>
> Oh man, are people actually using that old code?
> This is no longer maintained and has been superseded by the fxload app in
> the libusbx directory.
>
>> sudo apt-get install libusb-1.0-0-dev
>
>
> libusb-1.0.0-dev is for libusb. The app above is designed for use with
> libusbx.
>
> I would strongly suggest that you:
> - pick the latest version of libusbx from
> git://github.com/libusbx/libusbx.git
> - Use the fxload application from the examples directory there instead of
> the old version from pbatard (which I will probably remove soon)

According to these docs:

https://github.com/timvideos/HDMI2USB/wiki/Firmware

Note: the fxload version that ships with Ubuntu, Debian and possibly
other Linux distributions (0.0.20081013-1) does not support the -D
syntax as above.

and I think the fxload from libusbx/libusbx.git doesn't have that?

carl@dc10:~/tv$ ./libusbx/examples/fxload -vvv -t fx2 -D 1443:0007 -I
./HDMI2USB/release/R1/pre-build/uvc_bulk.hex
/home/carl/tv/libusbx/examples/.libs/lt-fxload: invalid option -- 'D'

Any clue?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Try New Relic Now & We'll Send You this Cool Shirt
New Relic is the only SaaS-based application performance monitoring service
that delivers powerful full stack analytics. Optimize and monitor your
browser, app, & servers with just a few lines of code. Try New Relic
and get this awesome Nerd Life shirt! http://p.sf.net/sfu/newrelic_d2d_may
_______________________________________________
libusbx-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/libusbx-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Libusbx-devel] build error: undefined reference to `libusb_error_name'

Pete Batard
We didn't carry the original fxload's options exactly because our implementation is slightly different (it will produce output to stdout by default, can autodetect FX devices and has a different set of options), and we wanted to alert users of the original version to the fact that, depending on the situation, libusbx's fxload and the original one are not entirely interchangeable.

In your case, try -d instead of -D. Also "fxload -h" is your friend.

Regards,

/Pete


On 26 May 2013 04:58, Carl Karsten <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sat, May 25, 2013 at 4:50 PM, Pete Batard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Carl,
>
>
> On 2013.05.25 21:02, Carl Karsten wrote:
>>
>> I am trying to use
>> https://github.com/timvideos/HDMI2USB/tree/jahanzeb/release/R1/pre-build
>>   which says "libusb fxload comes from
>> https://github.com/pbatard/fxload "
>
>
> Oh man, are people actually using that old code?
> This is no longer maintained and has been superseded by the fxload app in
> the libusbx directory.
>
>> sudo apt-get install libusb-1.0-0-dev
>
>
> libusb-1.0.0-dev is for libusb. The app above is designed for use with
> libusbx.
>
> I would strongly suggest that you:
> - pick the latest version of libusbx from
> git://github.com/libusbx/libusbx.git
> - Use the fxload application from the examples directory there instead of
> the old version from pbatard (which I will probably remove soon)

According to these docs:

https://github.com/timvideos/HDMI2USB/wiki/Firmware

Note: the fxload version that ships with Ubuntu, Debian and possibly
other Linux distributions (0.0.20081013-1) does not support the -D
syntax as above.

and I think the fxload from libusbx/libusbx.git doesn't have that?

carl@dc10:~/tv$ ./libusbx/examples/fxload -vvv -t fx2 -D 1443:0007 -I
./HDMI2USB/release/R1/pre-build/uvc_bulk.hex
/home/carl/tv/libusbx/examples/.libs/lt-fxload: invalid option -- 'D'

Any clue?


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Try New Relic Now & We'll Send You this Cool Shirt
New Relic is the only SaaS-based application performance monitoring service
that delivers powerful full stack analytics. Optimize and monitor your
browser, app, & servers with just a few lines of code. Try New Relic
and get this awesome Nerd Life shirt! http://p.sf.net/sfu/newrelic_d2d_may
_______________________________________________
libusbx-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/libusbx-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Libusbx-devel] build error: undefined reference to `libusb_error_name'

Carl Karsten
-d, got it.  Thanks.

Sorry about being dense.. I don't know enough about what the commands
do to feel good about matching up -D and -d.    For now I am just a
dumb user that wants to build this thing and use it.   I am taking
notes so I can submit better setup docs, so at least I am not a
worthless user :)


On Sun, May 26, 2013 at 7:46 AM, Pete Batard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We didn't carry the original fxload's options exactly because our
> implementation is slightly different (it will produce output to stdout by
> default, can autodetect FX devices and has a different set of options), and
> we wanted to alert users of the original version to the fact that, depending
> on the situation, libusbx's fxload and the original one are not entirely
> interchangeable.
>
> In your case, try -d instead of -D. Also "fxload -h" is your friend.
>
> Regards,
>
> /Pete
>
>
> On 26 May 2013 04:58, Carl Karsten <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, May 25, 2013 at 4:50 PM, Pete Batard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Hi Carl,
>> >
>> >
>> > On 2013.05.25 21:02, Carl Karsten wrote:
>> >>
>> >> I am trying to use
>> >>
>> >> https://github.com/timvideos/HDMI2USB/tree/jahanzeb/release/R1/pre-build
>> >>   which says "libusb fxload comes from
>> >> https://github.com/pbatard/fxload "
>> >
>> >
>> > Oh man, are people actually using that old code?
>> > This is no longer maintained and has been superseded by the fxload app
>> > in
>> > the libusbx directory.
>> >
>> >> sudo apt-get install libusb-1.0-0-dev
>> >
>> >
>> > libusb-1.0.0-dev is for libusb. The app above is designed for use with
>> > libusbx.
>> >
>> > I would strongly suggest that you:
>> > - pick the latest version of libusbx from
>> > git://github.com/libusbx/libusbx.git
>> > - Use the fxload application from the examples directory there instead
>> > of
>> > the old version from pbatard (which I will probably remove soon)
>>
>> According to these docs:
>>
>> https://github.com/timvideos/HDMI2USB/wiki/Firmware
>>
>> Note: the fxload version that ships with Ubuntu, Debian and possibly
>> other Linux distributions (0.0.20081013-1) does not support the -D
>> syntax as above.
>>
>> and I think the fxload from libusbx/libusbx.git doesn't have that?
>>
>> carl@dc10:~/tv$ ./libusbx/examples/fxload -vvv -t fx2 -D 1443:0007 -I
>> ./HDMI2USB/release/R1/pre-build/uvc_bulk.hex
>> /home/carl/tv/libusbx/examples/.libs/lt-fxload: invalid option -- 'D'
>>
>> Any clue?
>
>

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Try New Relic Now & We'll Send You this Cool Shirt
New Relic is the only SaaS-based application performance monitoring service
that delivers powerful full stack analytics. Optimize and monitor your
browser, app, & servers with just a few lines of code. Try New Relic
and get this awesome Nerd Life shirt! http://p.sf.net/sfu/newrelic_d2d_may
_______________________________________________
libusbx-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/libusbx-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Libusbx-devel] build error: undefined reference to `libusb_error_name'

Carl Karsten
In reply to this post by Carl Karsten
Does anyone know if the current fxload is in a debian repo or PPA?

I found one in
https://launchpad.net/~dietdrpeper/+archive/ppa/+packages

but in the changelog:

 * renamed to fxload from hotplug-utils





On Sun, May 26, 2013 at 7:45 AM, Pete Batard <[hidden email]> wrote:
We didn't carry the original fxload's options exactly because our implementation is slightly different (it will produce output to stdout by default, can autodetect FX devices
and has a different set of options), and we wanted to alert users of the original version to the fact that, depending on the situation, libusbx's fxload and the original one are not entirely interchangeable.

In your case, try -d instead of -D. Also "fxload -h" is your friend.

Regards,

/Pete


On 26 May 2013 04:58, Carl Karsten <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sat, May 25, 2013 at 4:50 PM, Pete Batard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Carl,
>
>
> On <a href="tel:2013.05.25%2021" value="+12013052521" target="_blank">2013.05.25 21:02, Carl Karsten wrote:
>>
>> I am trying to use
>> https://github.com/timvideos/HDMI2USB/tree/jahanzeb/release/R1/pre-build
>>   which says "libusb fxload comes from
>> https://github.com/pbatard/fxload "
>
>
> Oh man, are people actually using that old code?
> This is no longer maintained and has been superseded by the fxload app in
> the libusbx directory.
>
>> sudo apt-get install libusb-1.0-0-dev
>
>
> libusb-1.0.0-dev is for libusb. The app above is designed for use with
> libusbx.
>
> I would strongly suggest that you:
> - pick the latest version of libusbx from
> git://github.com/libusbx/libusbx.git
> - Use the fxload application from the examples directory there instead of
> the old version from pbatard (which I will probably remove soon)

According to these docs:

https://github.com/timvideos/HDMI2USB/wiki/Firmware

Note: the fxload version that ships with Ubuntu, Debian and possibly
other Linux distributions (0.0.20081013-1) does not support the -D
syntax as above.

and I think the fxload from libusbx/libusbx.git doesn't have that?

carl@dc10:~/tv$ ./libusbx/examples/fxload -vvv -t fx2 -D 1443:0007 -I
./HDMI2USB/release/R1/pre-build/uvc_bulk.hex
/home/carl/tv/libusbx/examples/.libs/lt-fxload: invalid option -- 'D'

Any clue?



------------------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
libusbx-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/libusbx-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Libusbx-devel] build error: undefined reference to `libusb_error_name'

Pete Batard
Hi Carl,

On 2014.04.06 17:00, Carl Karsten wrote:
> Does anyone know if the current fxload is in a debian repo or PPA?

All I can tell you, is what the initial commit for fxload reports [1]:
* This program was modified from the original fxload at:
   http://linux-hotplug.sourceforge.net to add libusb
   as well as non HEX images support.

I think this is the project Debian use as their base, but the original
project's fxload doesn't seem to have been updated for some time.

> but in the changelog:
>
>   * renamed to fxload from hotplug-utils

fxload.c was originally main.c in the linux-hotplug project.

Regards,

/Pete

PS: Your patch has now been applied into the libusb repository

[1]
https://github.com/libusb/libusb/commit/05975333c53d58a98b1e91f1edd220d794c7dd46


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Put Bad Developers to Shame
Dominate Development with Jenkins Continuous Integration
Continuously Automate Build, Test & Deployment
Start a new project now. Try Jenkins in the cloud.
http://p.sf.net/sfu/13600_Cloudbees
_______________________________________________
libusbx-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/libusbx-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: [Libusbx-devel] build error: undefined reference to `libusb_error_name'

Ludovic Rousseau
2014-04-07 23:19 GMT+02:00 Pete Batard <[hidden email]>:

> Hi Carl,
>
> On 2014.04.06 17:00, Carl Karsten wrote:
>> Does anyone know if the current fxload is in a debian repo or PPA?
>
> All I can tell you, is what the initial commit for fxload reports [1]:
> * This program was modified from the original fxload at:
>    http://linux-hotplug.sourceforge.net to add libusb
>    as well as non HEX images support.
>
> I think this is the project Debian use as their base, but the original
> project's fxload doesn't seem to have been updated for some time.

Debian provides a fxload package [2].
But this fxload package has not been updated since Apr 2010 [3].

fxload from Debian comes from http://linux-hotplug.sourceforge.net/
This version has not been updated since 5 years [4].

If you really want to use the fxload from libusb/examples/ you will
have to build it yourself. Sorry.

Bye

>> but in the changelog:
>>
>>   * renamed to fxload from hotplug-utils
>
> fxload.c was originally main.c in the linux-hotplug project.
>
> Regards,
>
> /Pete

> [1]
> https://github.com/libusb/libusb/commit/05975333c53d58a98b1e91f1edd220d794c7dd46

[2] https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=fxload
[3] http://metadata.ftp-master.debian.org/changelogs//main/f/fxload/fxload_0.0.20081013-1_changelog
[4] http://linux-hotplug.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/linux-hotplug/fxload/

--
 Dr. Ludovic Rousseau

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Put Bad Developers to Shame
Dominate Development with Jenkins Continuous Integration
Continuously Automate Build, Test & Deployment
Start a new project now. Try Jenkins in the cloud.
http://p.sf.net/sfu/13600_Cloudbees
_______________________________________________
libusbx-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/libusbx-devel
Loading...