[Libusbx-devel] Announcing libusb-1.0.18 (as well as libusbx-1.0.18 *FINAL*)

[Libusbx-devel] Announcing libusb-1.0.18 (as well as libusbx-1.0.18 *FINAL*)

Pete Batard
Hi,

It is my great pleasure to announce the release of libusb 1.0.18 (as
well as the simultaneous final release of libusbx 1.0.18), which marks
the long awaited merging back of libusbx with libusb!

With this release, we are finally consolidating the two projects back
into one, and bringing the many bug fixes and new features of libusbx,
into libusb, for the benefit of all.

For all programming purposes, you should consider that these
simultaneous 1.0.18 releases are essentially the same. The only
difference between them is that a bunch of strings, which bear no impact
on either the compilation or the API (95% of them being in comments) say
"libusbx" on one side and "libusb" on the other. Outside of that the
code is identical and the name of the header, library and API function
calls, which were already the same to begin with, are still identical in
both libraries, with the libraries themselves still being interchangeable.

We therefore strongly encourage you to move to using libusb 1.0.18 in
your project(s) as soon as possible, especially as all future libusb
related development will occur from the single libusb project.

You can find the libusb 1.0.18 release tarball at:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/libusb/files/libusb-1.0/libusb-1.0.18/

With regards to the changes pertaining to this release, because the list
would be too long to copy/paste, as there hasn't been any official
libusb release since version 1.0.9, you can obtain the full ChangeLog by
going to: http://log.libusb.info

With this release however, we had to make some adjustments to our URLs
(mostly because the person in charge of the original domain wasn't
interested in helping the project move forward), so please take note of
the following:

* IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING LIBUSB USER:
   - The SourceForge project remains at
       https://sourceforge.net/projects/libusb/
   - The mailing list remains at
       [hidden email]
   - The API documentation remains at:
       http://libusb.sourceforge.net/api-1.0/
   - The git repository changes from
       git://git.libusb.org/libusb.git to
       git://github.com/libusb/libusb.git
   - The Homepage changes from
       http://libusb.org to
       http://libusb.info
   - The Wiki and issue tracker are change to github at
       https://github.com/libusb/libusb

* IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING LIBUSBX USER:
   - The SourceForge project changes from
       https://sourceforge.net/projects/libusbx/ to
       https://sourceforge.net/projects/libusb/
   - The mailing list changes from
       [hidden email] to
       [hidden email]
   - The API documentation changes from at:
       http://libusbx.sourceforge.net/api-1.0/ to
       http://libusb.sourceforge.net/api-1.0/
   - The git repository changes from
       git://github.com/libusbx/libusbx.git to
       git://github.com/libusb/libusb.git
   - The Homepage changes from
       http://libusbx.org to
       http://libusb.info
   - The github project (Wiki, issue tracker, etc.) changes from
       https://github.com/libusbx/libusbx to
       https://github.com/libusb/libusb

Please make sure you update your tracking of the project as required.

Obviously, we would have preferred avoiding the domain change (but we
would still have moved the git repository, issue tracker and Wiki to
github, as it's more convenient) and while we understand that moving
from .org to .info may create some temporary confusion, we hope that, as
everyone starts to reference http://libusb.info as the new home of the
libusb project, this confusion will be as short lived as possible.

You are invited to visit http://libusb.info, which contains all the
links that are mentioned above, as well as additional information.

Thank you,

/Pete

Re: [Libusbx-devel] Announcing libusb-1.0.18 (as well as libusbx-1.0.18 *FINAL*)

Erik Rull
Hi Pete,

so the libusb will be delivered together with the issue (potential bug)
reported 2014-01-21?

Best regards,

Erik

Pete Batard wrote:

> [...]
>         https://github.com/libusbx/libusbx to
>         https://github.com/libusb/libusb
>
> Please make sure you update your tracking of the project as required.
>
> Obviously, we would have preferred avoiding the domain change (but we
> would still have moved the git repository, issue tracker and Wiki to
> github, as it's more convenient) and while we understand that moving
> from .org to .info may create some temporary confusion, we hope that, as
> everyone starts to reference http://libusb.info as the new home of the
> libusb project, this confusion will be as short lived as possible.
>
> You are invited to visit http://libusb.info, which contains all the
> links that are mentioned above, as well as additional information.
>
> Thank you,
>
> /Pete

Re: [Libusbx-devel] Announcing libusb-1.0.18 (as well as libusbx-1.0.18 *FINAL*)

Hi Erik,

On 2014.01.26 22:44, Erik Rull wrote:
> so the libusb will be delivered together with the issue (potential bug)
> reported 2014-01-21?

libusb _has been_ released, and no fix has been submitted for the issue
you reported, so, of course, you should expect the same behaviour in the
version that was just released.

As long as nobody produces a patch (personally, I don't expect to have
much of a chance to look into this any time soon, so I sure hope
somebody else is planning to), potential issues do not get fixed.

Thus, if noone volunteers to produce a patch, there's not much that can
get fixed in a release.

Regards,

/Pete

Re: [Libusbx-devel] Announcing libusb-1.0.18 (as well as libusbx-1.0.18 *FINAL*)

Erik Rull
Hi Pete,

thanks for your feedback. I would just like to know what could be the reason why
or what is going wrong. I just see the effect, but I'm not an expert in the USB
interiors, otherwise the patch would have been provided already :-)
I can also dig down deeper, but for that I need some support.

Best regards,

Erik

> On January 27, 2014 at 1:22 AM Pete Batard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Hi Erik,
>
> On 2014.01.26 22:44, Erik Rull wrote:
> > so the libusb will be delivered together with the issue (potential bug)
> > reported 2014-01-21?
>
> libusb _has been_ released, and no fix has been submitted for the issue
> you reported, so, of course, you should expect the same behaviour in the
> version that was just released.
>
> As long as nobody produces a patch (personally, I don't expect to have
> much of a chance to look into this any time soon, so I sure hope
> somebody else is planning to), potential issues do not get fixed.
>
> Thus, if noone volunteers to produce a patch, there's not much that can
> get fixed in a release.
>
> Regards,
>
> /Pete

Re: [Libusbx-devel] [Libusb-win32-devel] Fwd: Announcing libusb-1.0.18 (as well as libusbx-1.0.18 *FINAL*)

Xiaofan Chen
On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 3:34 AM, Spiro Trikaliotis
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> * On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 01:15:04PM +0800 Xiaofan Chen wrote:
>
>> * IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING LIBUSB USER:
> [...]
>>   - The mailing list remains at
>>        [hidden email]
>              ^^^

It should be  [hidden email]

> [...]
>
>> * IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING LIBUSBX USER:
> [...]
>
>>   - The mailing list changes from
>>       [hidden email] to
>>       [hidden email]
>
> The two statements contradict each other. I assume the first one is
> wrong, isn't it?

You are right. Thanks.

--
Xiaofan

On 2014.01.27 12:46, Erik Rull wrote:
> I would just like to know what could be the reason why
> or what is going wrong. I just see the effect, but I'm not an expert in the USB
> interiors, otherwise the patch would have been provided already :-)

I wasn't asking for you to provide a patch. That's still the job of
maintainers and contributors. Right now, everybody seems a bit squeezed
to investigate your issue, but we'll try to make time for it when we get
a chance.

On 2014.01.28 01:02, Xiaofan Chen wrote:
>>> * IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING LIBUSB USER:
>> [...]
>>>    - The mailing list remains at
>>>         [hidden email]
>>               ^^^
>
> It should be  [hidden email]

Ah shoot. One more reason I won't be unhappy to see the back of libusbx.
Way too many opportunities to introduce an X where none was needed, or
the opposite. ;)

I guess, since that line announces that no change is needed, existing
libusb users will have made that correction by themselves.

Regards,

/Pete